Buscar

1/3/14 Feeling Low

We need to stop advertising low self esteem. I saw this lil post on tumblr the other day that stated this: “Stop romanticizing low self esteem; it is one thing to love someone who happens to have low self esteem, it’s another thing to frame low self esteem as a desirable trait” This is honestly the best thing I have seen as it is 100% true. I used to have a very, very low opinion of myself and over the years that has improved a little bit, however I still have poor self esteem. It makes me so mad – almost furious in fact, that some people think it’s “cute” and such to feel that way about yourself.

I will tell you now that it is not at all cute to feel worthless, unattractive and down-right crappy about yourself. It is something that people need help with. I am lucky to be surrounded with supportive and amazing peers that help me feel good about myself. For others that’s not always the case. I can’t stand the thought of people purposely making themselves feel bad because apparently this is “attractive”.

It’s sick that low self esteem is promoted so much these days. Like things such as cutting (ie: that stupid #CutForBeiber) have almost become a trend among young teens! My younger sister thought it was okay for people to do these things because other people were doing it. Although she wasn’t actually hurting herself, it broke my heart that it seemed acceptable. I had to tell her that it was definitely not okay.

All in all, feeling crappy about yourself isn’t something to be promoted and encouraged. If anyone thinks that it’s okay to have these as desired traits, I’m truly horrified that you think that. Rant over.

- Miranda xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment